First Hampshire & Dorset Enthusiasts Forums
Forum Ads - Printable Version

+- First Hampshire & Dorset Enthusiasts Forums (http://fhd-forums.orgfree.com/forums)
+-- Forum: FHD Forum - Admin Stuff (http://fhd-forums.orgfree.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help & Contact (http://fhd-forums.orgfree.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Forum Ads (/showthread.php?tid=1748)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Forum Ads - Matt - Mon, 12 February 2018

Right - I'll get this sorted sometime soon.  Somehow.  The fact that iOS devices seem to ignore the ads, whereas x86/x64 stuff is giving varying results is odd.  The ads are pushed at the host end, so irrespective of what device you're using (desktop, laptop, phone, tablet, shiny thing) it's handled (unlikely) by the OS or browser (a cert - or whatever plugins you may/not have installed) - the fact that my W10P box (Chrome) handles it differently to my WXP (also Chrome) clarifies that.

Whatever - it's paid for, so they shouldn't be there at all.  Yawn.

M.

RE: Forum Ads - coastliner700 - Mon, 12 February 2018

Matt,  I had the banner advert when I first logged into the forum and it seemed to stay on cached pages but has now disappeared from all the pages.  I had one page I visited that had retained it but by refreshing the page the banner ad disappeared.  (win 8.1 IE v11)  Hope this my be of use in your investigations.

Regards

RE: Forum Ads - Matt - Mon, 12 February 2018

Cheers CL - sort of confirms that it's a Windows issue, but as the only iAnything in this place isn't here, I can't thrash-test that theory.

Is this advert thing really annoying anyone? I've gone through my bank statements, and it's due for renewal in early April. If it's just a few banners that seem to vanish (or don't appear if you're on a bracelet/necklace/fancy bit of jewellery Smile ) and no-one's moaning, I'll leave it, and then see what happens in a couple of months.

If it's a problem that you want resolved, I'll shout and escalate my complaint. Probably on Wednesday, as I'm going to bed, cos I've got to be up in five hours to drive L to LGW.

M.

RE: Forum Ads - George A'Court - Tue, 13 February 2018

(Mon, 12 February 2018, 23:22)Matt Wrote: Cheers CL - sort of confirms that it's a Windows issue, but as the only iAnything in this place isn't here, I can't thrash-test that theory.

Is this advert thing really annoying anyone?  I've gone through my bank statements, and it's due for renewal in early April.  If it's just a few banners that seem to vanish (or don't appear if you're on a bracelet/necklace/fancy bit of jewellery Smile ) and no-one's moaning, I'll leave it, and then see what happens in a couple of months.

If it's a problem that you want resolved, I'll shout and escalate my complaint.  Probably on Wednesday, as I'm going to bed, cos I've got to be up in five hours to drive L to LGW.  

M.
Matt don't waste time on it, it does not interfere with the use of the site, by the way I am on Windows 7 so your theory of a windows issue is about right. Thankyou .

RE: Forum Ads - coastliner700 - Tue, 13 February 2018

Matt, certainly not an issue as it stands.  If it gets excessively intrusive then it might be worth trying to fix, as it is now just leave as is.

Thanks & Regards

RE: Forum Ads - Darren - Fri, 16 February 2018

As long as those damn pop-ups don't reappear....

RE: Forum Ads - Matt - Fri, 16 February 2018

Thanks to all for input on this. I'm going to ignore this for now, and not bother chasing the seemingly unobtrusive but/and disappearing 'header' ads, as I've got better things to do than play one-sided email ping-pong with an autoresponder.

"Renewal" is soon - so we'll see what happens then, but ...

(Fri, 16 February 2018, 18:30)Darren Wrote: As long as those damn pop-ups don't reappear....

(the bouncy ones? NSFW ones? or multiple window ones? Or everything?)

... I guess we can call this (for now) closed.

If you know better than I, and can provide a solution (I'll host it here if necessary ... ad-free, and cost-free ...) then why haven't we talked sooner? Smile

M.

RE: Forum Ads - Darren - Thu, 22 February 2018

(Fri, 16 February 2018, 18:58)Matt Wrote:
(Fri, 16 February 2018, 18:30)Darren Wrote: As long as those damn pop-ups don't reappear....

(the bouncy ones?  NSFW ones?  or multiple window ones?  Or everything?)

The bouncy annoying ones.

Personally I am not too fussed with the inline advertising (ala Google Ads) but the "You have a virus, scan now" pop style ones were the ones I hated most.

Free Web Hosting