First Hampshire & Dorset Enthusiasts Forums

Full Version: A few forum oddities (partly cross-forum - apologies)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Evening Everyone,

I am just trying to resolve whether I am having issues on my phone or whether it is the site. I use Chrome on my Android (L) handset, but when I come to the FHD forum I find the advertising features a pain in the America's Cup. Sometimes it is a redirect and sometimes a bouncing box; which I do not get on my Windows (desktop and laptop) Chrome.

Also; is the Stagecoach Forum down?
I have had the had the bouncing box for several months now, but what I find frustrating is on a daily basis sometimes when I open a new post normally on a first visit of a day a box appears on the screen telling me to install something which is contains a virus, having been caught once I now always click the box with the x and the post I wanted to read appears. This only occurs in this forum and on none of my other favourites ,it really started after the last major forum update. I operate ordinary Google on windows 7. Sorry if the above reads a bit long winded to the younger IT experts but I have worded it as best as I can.
I cant get on to the stagecoach south forum either
Hi all,

Just so you know the mods are aware of the advert issues. It seems to be on different browsers at different times we get different results. For example, I'm on Chrome at the mo, and usually adverts do pop up. I've had none for now. Furthermore, when I'm on my ipad, nothing ever comes up on the tablet.

I'm too having problems with Stagecoach site - we are on it and will give an update in due course.

Best wishes to all and apologies for the inconvenience.

James
All -

I'll recheck things when I get home, but this is (I think) down to malware on the guest machine. I paid £120 to get rid of ads from this site about six months ago, so they aren't (shouldn't) be being propagated from here.

Anyone that's having problems, please drop me an email with these details :

OS : Win XP / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 (exact version number) : Linux - OS Release & update code
Browser : Chrome, 'Fox, Opera or (shudder) IEx. (exact version)

I need to know those details (and not just "Win 7 with Chrome" - I need version numbers to try and figure this out - otherwise I'm working blind).

Darren - yep - there seems to be a problem with the Stagey forum as well - I can't even access the Admin area. Something else to look into <sigh> <oh ***k>.

"Holidays"? What be one of they? (supposed to be o/night to Ouistreham tonight - should have checked in 30 mins ago.) Whatever. I'm off to bed and will get NEx in the morning, and hope that a certain someone understands why I'm half a day late. Meh.

Sorry to any style-over-substance victims - I don't support anything Apple-ish (unless it's fermented, cold and served in a 568ml glass - 500ml if on the other side of the channel). Their pig-headed ignorance to independent developers causes this.

Yep - I'll get on things in the morning.

M.

(Won 3-1 against fatso - not that anyone cares)
Morning folks.

Quick update on these issues. I've checked the backend of the Stagey forum, and all seems fine. However, attempting to access the forum itself just times out. Support ticket has been raised.

This forum - again, I've been onto the backend, and the 'no-ads' feature *IS* active (until Feb 2016), so why some (but not all) users are having bouncy things is a bit of a mystery. Another support ticket submitted.

I'm typing this on "Normandie" en-route Caen to drop eldest off with the rest of the tribe on a freshly rebuilt (pink) laptop - I'm getting nothing unwanted on IE, and have just installed Chrome and similarly - no bounces or redirects.

Again I ask - if you are having problems, PLEASE let me know and give me as much info as you can - if I can't re-create the problem, then I'm working blind to try to find a solution to a problem that I can't see!

I'll personally vouch for Malwarebytes as a separate security measure - it's free and works very well, seamlessly integrating with most browsers (apart from Opera for some reason, but most PC users don't use it / haven't heard of it). As for Android devices - I don't develop on that platform (yet), but my Galaxy something-or-other dosn't show ads on either Chrome or the (truly awful) inbuilt Samsung browser.

I know that this may sound like me shying away from duties, but I'm doing all I can to fix this.

M.
Looking forward to a quick croque at Le Royal, Rue des Dunes, 14770 (?) Ouistreham where I hand over a moody 13yr old to her Mum & Grandparents and fill the boot with wine. And beer. And a Marie-made strawberry flan (which will devoured before the UK is in sight) A fair exchange if you ask me!
I can now access the stagecoach forum
(Sun, 26 July 2015, 19:50)George A Wrote: [ -> ]I have had the had the bouncing box for several months now, but what I find frustrating is on a daily basis sometimes when I open a new post normally on a first visit of a day a box appears on the screen telling me to install something which is contains a virus, having been caught once I now always click the box with the x and the post I wanted to read appears. This only occurs in this forum and on none of my other favourites ,it really started after the last major forum update. I operate ordinary Google on windows 7. Sorry if the above reads a bit long winded to the younger IT experts but I have worded it as best as I can.

Mine is behaving exactly the same as yours George.
I can concur that I can now also get onto the Stagecoach Enthusiasts Forum.

As for "shirking your responsibilities" you are an enthusiast volunteering your time to further the cause... it is not as though you are a paid member of staff managing a service we pay for!

Darren
Struggling to learn PHP - don't know why though
Hi Matt,

I'm having no problem on my Apple iPhone 5s running IOS 8.4 latest version of safari, however if I boot up chrome on my phone I get bouncing adverts.

L
Pages: 1 2
Free Web Hosting